Careers & Internships
The following position is currently open at the Woods Hole Research Center:
Summary: The Director of Communications works closely with WHRC leadership and is responsible for managing and dispatching internal and external news and information. The successful candidate reports to the Chief Development Officer and serves as a core member of the development team. He or she will possess the ability to embrace the WHRC mission and effectively articulate our scientific, policy, and education programs to audiences, including the general public, potential donors, and collaborators.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will
- Develop a strategic plan for using communications to advance WHRC’s interests
- Implement this plan through diverse media, including web, social media, and emerging technology
- Create and implement new communications initiatives to raise visibility of WHRC
- Oversee content and future development of the WHRC website
- Develop and maintain consistent positioning and branding across institutional print and electronic communications materials, e.g., website, brochures, annual reports, newsletters, posters, etc.
- Develop and cultivate a network of media contacts
- Compose press releases for current and emerging science and policy initiatives
- Provide high-level writing and communications support with media responses, editorials, and interviews to the President, Deputy Director, scientists, Board of Directors, and others
- Work proactively with international, national, and local media for WHRC positioning and coverage
- Serve as point person for media coordination and response
- Serve as external relations point person for WHRC events on campus, institutional assets/positioning, scientific conferences, and UN climate meetings
- Develop and facilitate an annual communications/messaging training workshop for WHRC scientists and staff
- Work closely with development team on fundraising materials and messaging
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ability to translate complex material into clear, engaging language for a variety of audiences
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications or related field
- Excellent writing, speaking, and editorial skills
- Extensive experience in communications and public relations
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Exemplary interpersonal, organizational skills and precise attention to detail
- Graphic design experience is helpful
Application deadline: January 10, 2016
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt position, with excellent benefit package.
Application instructions: Email cover letter, CV and 3 references to email@example.com, with reference to job #DCOM16 in the subject line.