Careers & Internships
The following position is currently open at the Woods Hole Research Center:
Research Assistant Position
Aboveground Carbon Dynamics
Job # AGCD17
SUMMARY: We are seeking a Research Assistant, focused on the development of novel approaches to the direct measurement and mapping of aboveground carbon dynamics and restoration of land carbon reservoirs at local to global scales. The successful candidate will work closely with the lead scientists and their collaborators as part of new and ongoing research efforts supported by variety of sources, included NASA. This position requires advanced remote sensing, GIS, and statistics experience, including the ability to manipulate large data sets within a LINUX-based cloud-computing environment.
- Assemble/analyze large airborne LiDAR, Landsat, MODIS, and related datasets
- Understand/manage large databases of field-measured biomass and related variables
- Advance multi-temporal algorithm development for biomass change mapping
- Perform complex geoprocessing utilizing cloud computing resources (e.g., Google)
- Conduct accuracy/uncertainty/sensitivity analyses
- Work in a collaborative environment with minimal oversight
- Participate in peer-reviewed journal article and grant proposal preparation
- Contribute to WHRC’s ongoing tropical and global biomass modeling activities
Qualifications and Experience: B.S. (minimum) or M.S. (preferred) degree with experience in a relevant discipline (geography, ecology, forestry, natural resources, or environmental science) with demonstrated expertise using multi-temporal/multi-sensor Earth observation data for large-area measurement and mapping of forest biophysical variables.
- Experience with field, airborne LiDAR, Landsat, MODIS, and/or similar datasets
- Experience building statistical relationships between field and satellite image data
- Advanced computational/programming skills
- Open-source statistical/spatial software experience (R/GDAL/Python, etc.)
- Knowledge of tropical forests and three-dimensional forest structure
- Familiarity with REDD+ and forest carbon MRV
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently in an organized and detail-oriented fashion
Desired Start Date: Summer 2017
Application Deadline: Until filled
Salary Range: commensurate with experience, with full benefit package, exempt positions.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send cover letter referencing “Research Assistant Position #AGCD17,” curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please type “AGCD17” in the subject line.